Change of Ownership
If you already have CWI backed by the protection of the 25 year CIGA Guarantee then you should only need to contact us if you think you have a problem.
However, although the Guarantee is transferable on sale of a property, we can provide confirmation of cover or a duplicate Guarantee for Sellers who have not been able to produce the original Document*.
Similarly, although not required, if you have purchased a new home with CWI covered by a CIGA Guarantee and prefer to have this registered in your own name, we can arrange for our records to be amended and an updated Guarantee to be issued*.
* An administrative charge of £10 inclusive of VAT is made for duplicate or updated Guarantees which can be requested by contacting us on 01525 853300.
If you think you have a problem
Government research has shown that problems associated with cavity wall insulation are very few and and when they do occur, they can usually be easily rectified by your installing company. First though check that there is no obvious cause for your problem, for example blocked gutters or earth piled up against your walls.
If you still feel that the problem is due to the installation, then you should contact the installer, who will inspect and remedy the problem where possible. If the installer is unable to resolve the problem, then contact CIGA in writing, stating the problem and the steps you have taken to have the matter resolved. To ensure that we can deal with any concerns promptly please include a daytime telephone number and your email address if you have one.
CIGA will then arrange to investigate the complaint, and where necessary, ensure that the appropriate remedial work is carried out free of charge. Each Guarantee certificate has a unique number that should be quoted on all correspondence.
These notes are for guidance only, and the guarantee cover is subject to terms and conditions. For further information see your guarantee but the following is a summary of cover:
- Any claim under the Guarantee must be notified to CIGA within 25 years of the installation date.
- All problems relating to the installation must be reported to the installer as soon as practicable and CIGA must be informed if the matter is not resolved satisfactorily within 2 months.
- The guarantee is not valid if the insulation has been altered or disturbed.
- Your statutory rights are not affected by the guarantee.
- The guarantee remains valid for subsequent owners or occupiers of the property.
- The maximum value of rectification work is currently £20,000.
These notes are for general guidance only, and you should refer to the CIGA guarantee for precise details of the cover on your installation.