How to Raise a Concern

If you do have any concerns about your cavity wall insulation CIGA and its member installers aim to respond to your complaint promptly and to resolve any problems as swiftly and effectively as possible.

The procedure for dealing with complaints as as follows:

Step 1           

  • Contact the installer who undertook the installation as soon as possible.   The name of the installer will be on the guarantee and contact details for all the installers currently in membership of CIGA can be found here.
  • The installer will contact you within 24 hours to arrange to investigate and promptly rectify any defects.

If you start by first making your complaint to CIGA we will initially refer it to the installer who undertook the installation. We will let you know that we have done this and we will check with you after 2 months whether you have had a satisfactory response to your complaint.

Step 2

  • if the installer is not able to resolve your problem to your satisfaction within 41 working days then you can contact CIGA setting out the problem and the steps you have taken so far to resolve the matter.  You can contact us by email at or using the form on this website: Alternatively you can call or write to us at –

 CIGA, CIGA House, Vimy Court, Vimy Road, Leighton Buzzard, Beds, LU7 1FG
Tel: 01525 853300

  • CIGA will investigate your complaint and decide what needs to be done to resolve it. This may include carrying out an inspection of your property, which will be at no cost to you.
  •  If we carry out an inspection of your property we will send you a copy of the report.
  •  If it is necessary CIGA will ensure that any remedial work required is carried out free of charge in accordance with the terms of the Guarantee which currently covers work up to a maximum value of £20,000 per property

Step 3

If you are not happy with the final decision you receive from CIGA the Guarantee provides that any dispute between you and CIGA can be referred to an independent arbitrator, whose decision will be final and legally binding on both parties.

Independent Arbitration is available under a dedicated scheme operated by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR). An independent Dispute Resolution Body approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute.

Further details are available here and they can be contacted at:

Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
70 Fleet Street
United Kingdom

Telephone: 020 7520 3800
Fax: 0845 1308 117
Textphone: 020 7520 3767

In order to refer a case to ADR the steps are:

  • CIGA issues a final decision on your case
  • If you are unhappy with the outcome then you have 12 months from the date of this letter to refer the matter to ADR.
  • In order to refer the matter you must request an Application form from CIGA and submit the completed form to CEDR together with a nominal fee of £25 plus VAT and supporting documents including:
    • the nature and basis of the claim;
    • the nature and extent of any remedy sought if known;
    • supporting documents relied on as evidence;
    • confirmation that all reasonable efforts have been made to resolve the dispute through the registered installer’s complaints procedure;
    • confirmation that the dispute has been escalated to CIGA and remains unresolved or that CIGA has issued a deadlock letter.
  • CEDR have 2 to 15 working days to check that the case is eligible for referral and to advise all parties that an application has been received, including the Application and any evidence provided.
  • The installer or CIGA then have 15 working days to submit a defence or confirm that the case has been settled.
  • A copy of the defence will then be sent to you and you have 10 working days to comment.
  • The case will then be referred to an arbitrator, who has 20 working days to reach a final decision on an award, which may for example require:
    • The registered installer to issue an apology to the customer;
    • The registered installer to complete specified works to rectify a defect in the materials or workmanship or damage that directly results from a defect;
    • The registered installer to pay a nominal sum (capped at a maximum of £100.00) to recognise a poor standard of customer service.
    • The registered installer to reimburse the arbitration fee to the customer.
    • The customer to pay any outstanding amounts to the registered installer.
  • The parties have 20 working days to comply with the terms of any award.

Advice and help in making complaints

  • We aim to provide a straightforward and helpful way to resolve any complaints you have about cavity wall insulation installed in your home. It is of course your choice if you feel the need to obtain independent advice before making a complaint but it is not necessary for you to obtain legal advice or to engage the services of a claims handling company simply to make a complaint.
  • If you need any specific assistance to be able to make your complaint or to deal effectively with CIGA at any point please let us know so that we can make appropriate arrangements to meet your needs. For example you may wish to nominate someone else to act on your behalf‘ We have a policy on how we support vulnerable consumers and you can read a copy here: CIGA Vulnerability Policy.
  • However you contact us please let CIGA know your daytime telephone number and an email address if you have one so that we can contact you if we need to arrange an inspection of your property
  • It is not essential for a copy of the Guarantee or any original documentation from the installer to be provided to us to make a claim, although the more information that is available the quicker any concerns can be investigated and resolved.
  • The Guarantee relates to the property so remains valid if there are subsequent owners or occupiers of the property. It is not necessary to advise CIGA of a change of owner or occupier for the Guarantee to be valid.
  • Any claim under the Guarantee must be notified to CIGA within 25 years of the installation date – so check the date on your Guarantee before making a complaint.
  • The costs of any inspections and visits carried out by your installer or CIGA are met by us.

Difficulties tracing an installer?

If you cannot find any information about the installer named on your guarantee it is possible that they may have moved address or are no longer in business. CIGA can help you to confirm this. If the installer is no longer a member of CIGA or has ceased trading your complaint will be investigated by CIGA as a first step.